Healthy food will never be a drab when it's paired with mashed sweet potatoes
Oven-Fried Chicken with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- For The Chicken
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
- 3 bone-in Chicken Breast halves (skin removed)
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1 tablespoon Mustard
- 1 1/2 cups Whole-Wheat Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Peanut Oil
- 1/4 cup Almond Meal
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 6 grinds Fresh Black Pepper
For The Potatoes
- 2 medium Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potatoes (peeled; cut into bite-size pieces)
- 3 medium Carrots (peeled; sliced into 1/4 inch coins)
- 3 tablespoon fresh-squeezed Orange Juice
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 teaspoon grated Orange Zest
- 1/2 teaspoon real Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Salt (plus pinch more to taste; if needed)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped Chives
- To Make the Chicken:
- Remove the skin from the Chicken. Using sharp kitchen shears, cut each Chicken Breast in half, making a total of 6 Chicken portions. Sprinkle the Cajun Seasoning on the Chicken and place the Chicken in a shallow dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours.
When ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 400°F convection and allow the Chicken to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Place a cookie cooling rack on a large sheet pan. Whisk the Egg Whites in a bowl until frothy and add the Mustard. Place the Breadcrumbs in a large plastic bag and drizzle in the Oil while shaking the contents. Add the Flour, Almond Meal, Cornstarch, Salt and Pepper and shake until combined.
Dip a piece of Chicken in the Egg mixture and allow the excess to drain off. Add the Chicken to the Breading and coat evenly. Place Chicken on the rack. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Bake about 25 minutes or until Chicken is somewhat firm and no longer squishy, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reads 165°F.
- To Make the Potatoes:
- Fill a medium pot with water and add the Potatoes and Carrots. Heat on high until water comes to a boil, then reduce heat to a low boil for 8 minutes until vegetables smash easily with a fork. Drain and whir the carrots and Orange Juice in a large food processor until smooth. Add the Potatoes, Buttery spread, Orange Zest, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Salt and Pepper and whir just until smooth. (Alternatively, if you only have a small food processor, mash the Potatoes in the pot.)
- Serve the potatoes with the chicken and sprinkle with Chives.