Oven Roasted Salmon with Purple Cauliflower Puree and a Buttermilk Dill Slaw
Turn up the dial on your classic salmon dish!
- step-by-step directions
Oven Roasted Salmon:
- 4 salmon fillets (skin-on, 5-ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
Purple Cauliflower Puree:
- 1 head purple cauliflower (2 - 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano (grated)
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup water (for steaming)
Buttermilk Dill Slaw:
- 1 pound purple cabbage
- 1 medium carrot (peeled, shredded)
- 2 scallions (root ends removed, thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For Oven Roasted Salmon: Place a rimmed baking sheet in a pre-heated 500ºF oven. Score the skin of the salmon 3-4 times on each fillet. Pat each fillet dry with a paper towel. Rub with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300ºF and remove the baking sheet. Carefully place the salmon on the baking sheet, skin side down. Cook for 7-11 minutes or when the internal temperature has reached 125ºF.
- For Purple Cauliflower Puree: Pull the leaves off of the cauliflower and cut into florets, about 1 1/2-inch pieces. Bring about 1-inch of water to a boil in a pot with a steamer basket. Cook florets covered with a lid for about 10-12 minutes or until you can poke the stems with a knife and the stems have just a little texture left.
- Dump half of the florets into your food processor and pour in 1/4 cup of the steaming liquid. Puree until smooth. Add the remaining florets and another 1/4 cup of steaming liquid and puree until smooth. Add more liquid if necessary.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add in butter, parmesan, salt and pepper. Puree again until smooth.
- For the Buttermilk Dill Slaw: Julienne the cabbage, toss with 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a large bowl. Transfer to a colander and set colander into the now empty bowl. Let stand for about an hour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, yogurt or sour cream, fresh dill, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the vegetables to the dressing and mix well.
- To serve, spoon some cauliflower puree onto a plate, and top with a fillet of salmon. Serve with a side of buttermilk dill slaw.
- Tip: If your local market does not carry purple cauliflower, standard white cauliflower will give you the same delicious results!
rate this recipe
Foolproof Lemon Bars
Basic Roast Chicken
Herby Store Bought Tomato Sauce
Quick Tomato Sauce
Classic Tomato Sauce
Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast Crepe
Bologna Fried Rice
Kal's Spicy Salsa
Roasted Portobello Tacos with Cabbage Slaw and Smashed Avocado
Cheddar Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Carrot Cake Poppers