This sweet puffed pastry will have you seeing coconuts
- 1 package store-bought puff pastry (thawed)
Guava Queso Filling:
- 1 package guava paste
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese (softened)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 Cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 2 eggs (plus 1 tablespoon water whisked together)
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly roll out puff pastry on a floured surface. Cut into 2 1/2-3" squares.
- For the Guava Queso Pastelitos: Lightly grease a mini-muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Press a square of puff pastry into each cup with the edges sticking out. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, lemon juice, sugar, milk and salt. Stir until smooth. Place a teaspoon of guava paste into the center of each puff pastry cup. Top with a dollop of the cream cheese mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Remove and allow to cool before serving.
- For the Coconut Pastelitos: Add the sweetened condensed milk and water to a small sauce pot and place over medium heat. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Add the coconut and cook over low heat, stirring frequently until pale golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool. Place a square of puff pastry in front of you. Place 1-2 teaspoons of cooled filling into the center of each square. Fold in half to create small rectangles. Use a fork to seal edges of the pastry. Continue with remaining filling and pastry. Transfer filled pastries to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with a little salt if desired. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Remove and allow to cool before serving.
- Tip: Serve with Cuban coffee and enjoy for breakfast!