This sweet puffed pastry will have you seeing coconuts
- step-by-step directions
- 1 package store-bought puff pastry (thawed)
Guava Queso Filling:
- 1 package guava paste
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese (softened)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 Cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 2 eggs (plus 1 tablespoon water whisked together)
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly roll out puff pastry on a floured surface. Cut into 2 1/2-3" squares.
- For the Guava Queso Pastelitos: Lightly grease a mini-muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Press a square of puff pastry into each cup with the edges sticking out. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, lemon juice, sugar, milk and salt. Stir until smooth. Place a teaspoon of guava paste into the center of each puff pastry cup. Top with a dollop of the cream cheese mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Remove and allow to cool before serving.
- For the Coconut Pastelitos: Add the sweetened condensed milk and water to a small sauce pot and place over medium heat. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Add the coconut and cook over low heat, stirring frequently until pale golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool. Place a square of puff pastry in front of you. Place 1-2 teaspoons of cooled filling into the center of each square. Fold in half to create small rectangles. Use a fork to seal edges of the pastry. Continue with remaining filling and pastry. Transfer filled pastries to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with a little salt if desired. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Remove and allow to cool before serving.
- Tip: Serve with Cuban coffee and enjoy for breakfast!
Spring Minestrone Soup with Turkey Meatballs
Coconut & Herb-Crusted Salmon with Mango-Avocado Salsa
Grilled Chicken Paillard with Spring Vegetable Ragout
Hot Italian Sausage Sandwich
Roasted Chicken with Boozy BBQ Sauce
Grilled German Potato Salad
Cleveland Baked Beans
Pea Pesto Pasta
Herbed Asparagus Frittata with Pea Shoot Salad
Striped Bass with Endive and Spring Onions