Opa! Don't miss out on a Greek classic similar to shepherd's pie.
- step-by-step directions
- For the Meat Sauce
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- Olive Oil
- 1 pound Ground Lamb
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- pinch Ground Allspice
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 2-3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2-3 large ripe Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1-2 tablespoons Honey
- 1/2 cup Dried Apricots (finely chopped)
- For the Cheese Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Goat Butter
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups Milk
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- Freshly Ground Nutmeg
- 2 Egg Yolks (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (plus more to garnish)
- 1/3 cup Sharp Greek Goat Cheese
- For Assembly
- 1 pounds Dried Ziti
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- Heat the Olive Oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the Onion and Garlic and sauté until just fragrant.
- In a large bowl, mix together the Lamb, a pinch of Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper, Cinnamon, Allspice, and Oregano. Add the seasoned Lamb to the Onions and brown the meat. Add the Tomato Paste, Tomatoes, and simmer until the Tomatoes begin to break down.
- Add the Honey and Apricots and simmer the sauce for 40 minutes, until the sauce thickens and comes together.
- In a saucepot over medium heat, add the Butter, and once melted, add the Flour and cook until it resembles wet sand. Whisk in the Milk, season with Salt, Pepper, and Nutmeg. Simmer for 10 minutes, remove from the heat, allow to cool slightly, and then stir in the Cheese and Egg Yolks.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook the Pasta to one minute less than package instructions. Drain and mix into the meat sauce.
- Lightly oil ramekins with Olive Oil. Spoon some of the meat and pasta mixture into each of them, and then top with a layer of Béchamel.
- Sprinkle the Breadcrumbs over each ramekin and top with more Parmigiano-Reggiano. Arrange ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling. Allow to rest for an hour before serving.
Peach Cobbler with Raspberry Coulis
Havarti and Horseradish Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Spicy Honey Dijon Coleslaw
Spice-Rubbed Smoked Chicken
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Banana Split Ice Cream Cupcake Bar
T-Bone Steak with Green Bean Salad
Ginger Cinnamon Funnel Cakes
Strawberry Malted Milkshake
Cheddar Pretzel Chicken with Spicy Corn Relish
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers with Feta Bechamel