Phyllo Spinach Pie
This Phyllo Spinach Pie tastes amazing! You can even freeze ahead and serve at a later date!
- step-by-step directions
Phyllo Spinach Pie
- 2 tablespoons butter (plus 2 sticks of butter, melted for brushing)
- 1/2 cup scallions (chopped)
- 4 packages frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 pound feta cheese (crumbled)
- 8 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons farina
- 1/2 cup parsley (minced)
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped dill or 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 3/4 pound phyllo sheets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Use a non-stick bundt pan. Brush melted butter on the inside of the bundt pan.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the scallions and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Place the spinach in a towel and squeeze to release the moisture.
- In a large bowl add the scallions, spinach, eggs, feta cheese, cottage cheese, farina, minced parlsey, dill and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover filo dough with plastic wrap while using to prevent from drying out. Using a pastry brush, take one sheet at a time, and place in the Bundt pan. Brush with butter and place another sheet on top. As you lay the sheets around the pan, leave an overhang. Use about 15 sheets to encase the pan. (Note: The phyllo sheets will not cover the whole pan, but as you continue to add phyllo sheets around the pan, you will have covered the entire pan. As you place the sheets in the pan, go over the center of the pan, and be sure to have an overlap around the pan.)
- Carefully spoon the filling around the pan. Use all the filling. When done, flip the overhanging sheets over the mixture to cover up the filling. Carefully butter the sheets.
- Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 5 to 15 minutes before unmolding it onto a platter. To help unmold, gently use a flat knife to go around the edges of the mold to help release it. Grab the edges of the mold and firmly tap on a table. Then invert it onto a dish. Slice and serve.
- Tip: 1. When cool, it can be frozen and used at a later date. Take from freezer and let it come to room temperature and reheat for 20 minutes.
- 2. You can prepare this item and freeze, unbaked. When ready to use, bake without prior thawing. Increase baking time to 1 1/2 hours, or until golden and puffed.
Similar categories: Pies & Tarts
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bark
Shrimp with Sherry Cream Sauce
Bone Broth Lentil Soup
Asian Chicken Meatball Sub
Nashville Hot Fish with Hushpuppies
Braised Pork Chilaquiles
Autumn Pinata Cake
Bundt Pan Lasagna
Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Gremolata
Fall Harvest Hungarian Goulash
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Yogurt and Scallions