Piadine with Mortadella and Robiola
A sure fire winner thanks to Mario Batali!
- step-by-step directions
- 1/2 pound all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound 00 flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 pound lard (rendered pork fat)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
Quick Pickled Zucchini:
- 3 medium zucchini (small diced)
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 fresno chilies (thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 packages robiola
- 24 slices mortadella (thinly sliced)
- olive oil (to drizzle)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- For the Piadine: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a hook attachment, add the flours, salt, baking powder, lard and olive oil. With the stand mixer on low speed mix until the ingredients start to come together, then increase the speed to medium.
- Slowly add in the milk and mix until incorporated. Slowly add in the water and mix until just incorporated. Continue beating in the stand mixer on medium speed until the dough is fully combined and springy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes or allow to rest in the refrigerator for up to one day.
- When ready to make the piadine, divide the dough into six balls of equal size. On a floured surface, roll the balls of dough very thin, forming a circle about 11-inches in diameter.
- While forming the piadine, heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium heat until very hot. Transfer each piadina to the griddle, one at a time, and cook until bubbly and golden brown, about one minute per side.
- For the Spicy Quick Pickle: Place the zucchini in a heatproof bowl, In a small saucepan add the vinegar, sugar, chili flakes and fennel. Bring to a boil. Pour over the zucchini and allow to cool to room temperature. Serve with the piadine.
- To Assemble: Cut up or pull apart the cheese into inch-sized pieces and distribute them over the six flatbreads. Place 2-4 slices of mortadella on top of the cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and season with black pepper. Fold each piadina in half and slice down the middle. Serve while warm. Serve with the zucchini pickles.
rate this recipe
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)
Pan-Seared Salmon with White Wine Butter Sauce, Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake
Roasted Chicken and Pimento Mac and Cheese
Fried Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
Stout Ice cream
Foolproof Lemon Bars
Basic Roast Chicken