Pickle-Brined Fried Chicken Biscuit
We had you at Biscuit, didn't we?
- step-by-step directions
Pickle Brined Fried Chicken:
- 4 chicken thighs (boneless, skin-on)
- 1 cup pickle juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Pickle Juice Slaw:
- 2 cups purple cabbage (shredded)
- 2 carrots (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (leaves only, minced)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (chilled, cubed)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- honey (optional)
- pickle chips (optional)
- For the Pickle-Brined Chicken: In a large zip-top bag, add the chicken thighs and fill with pickle juice. Place in the refrigerator and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Fill a tabletop fryer 3/4 full with vegetable oil and heat to 375ºF.
- Meanwhile, make the Pickle Juice Slaw:
- In a large bowl toss together the cabbage, carrots and parsley.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, pickle juice and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Pour the mayonnaise and pickle juice over the slaw mixture and toss until slaw is thoroughly coated. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a shallow baking dish, add the buttermilk.
- In a second shallow baking dish, add flour and season with pepper.
- Remove chicken from the zip top bag and at dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Submerge the chicken in the buttermilk, completely coating both sides. Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess. Repeat with remaining thighs. Place chicken in the preheated oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through, and golden brown. About 3-4 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and allow to cool slightly. Repeat with remaining thighs.
- Slice the biscuits in half and top the bottom half with pickle chips and a fried chicken thigh. If desired, drizzle honey over chicken and top with a spoonful of pickle juice slaw. Finish with the top half of the buttermilk biscuit and enjoy!
- For the Buttermilk Biscuits: Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut chilled cubes of butter into the flour mixture until texture resembles small peas. Slowly pour the buttermilk into the flour, whisking to combine.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough until it comes together. Roll out the dough to 1/3-inch thickness.
- Using a 3 1/2-inch ring mold, cut out biscuits. Place in the oven and bake until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
Pap's Turkey and Dumpling Soup
Ombre Potato and Root Vegetable Gratin
Quick and Easy Pumpkin Pie
Simple Pumpkin Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
Turkey Pot Pie
Crispy and Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Classic Pumpkin Pie
Deconstructed Vegan Pecan Pie
Fall Roasted Vegetable Medley
Maple Bourbon-Glazed Roasted Turkey
Crispy Potatoes with Pumpkin Hummus