Use Michael's recipe to enjoy your garden tomatoes all-year round!
Pickled Green Tomatoes
- 2 Fresno Chilies (split)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 tablespoons Coriander Leaves
- 2 tablespoons Cumin Seeds
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 teaspoon Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Ground Mace
- 2 tablespoons Ground Black Peppercorns
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 4 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 2 tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 2 pound Green Tomatoes (cut in wedges)
- Sterilize two 4-quart jars by placing on a wire rack in a large pot. Fill with water and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Continue to simmer until ready to use.
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the Green Tomatoes in a large nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for three minutes and then allow the liquid to cool slightly.
- Carefully remove the jars using tongs. Divide the Tomatoes between the jars and fill with the pickling liquid. Carefully remove air bubbles using a clean rubber spatula. Dry rims with a paper towel and then screw on the sterilized lids, do not over tighten.
- Place the jars back in the simmering water, cover the pot, and boil for 20 minutes. Turn off heat, remove lid, and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Remove jars and allow to sit, undisturbed for 12 hours.
- Label the date, and the sealed Tomatoes will last 1 year at room temperature. Use within a week of opening.