Turn polenta into croutons with this easy recipe!
- step-by-step directions
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil (plus more for frying)
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium pot, add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Slowly add the polenta, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring vigorously every few minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Add butter and Parmesan cheese and whisk to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lightly grease a 1/4 baking sheet or dish with olive oil. Line with parchment paper and lightly grease the paper with oil.
- Transfer polenta to prepared baking sheet. Using a spatula, smooth polenta into an even layer. Refrigerate until completely chilled, 1-2 hours.
- Once the polenta is chilled and set, remove from the refrigerator. Cut polenta into 1-inch cubes.
- Fill a large, heavy-bottomed pot with a few inches of oil. Preheat to 360ºF. Working in batches, fry the polenta cubes for 3 minutes, until golden-brown and crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt. Finish with more freshly grated Parmesan and parsley.
- Use as a crouton on a salad, if desired!
- Serve as an appetizer with warm Marinara sauce on the side!
rate this recipe
Foolproof Lemon Bars
Basic Roast Chicken
Herby Store Bought Tomato Sauce
Quick Tomato Sauce
Classic Tomato Sauce
Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast Crepe
Bologna Fried Rice
Kal's Spicy Salsa
Roasted Portobello Tacos with Cabbage Slaw and Smashed Avocado
Cheddar Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Carrot Cake Poppers