Pork Chops Italiano
These pork chops are like no other!
- step-by-step directions
Pork Chops Italiano
- 4 pork chops (bone-in, 1/2-1 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms (stem removed, left whole)
- 1 medium onion (peeled, sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled, sliced)
- 2 large green peppers (stem removed, seeded, sliced)
- 2 cans tomato sauce (8 ounces each)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon dried sage
- cooked long grain white rice (to serve)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- About 2 hours before serving, season the pork chops liberally with salt and pepper and place back in the refrigerator. Bring the pork chops out 30 minutes prior to cooking to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the pork chops and cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per per side. Remove the pork chops to a roasting pan or 2 1/2-quart casserole dish. Arrange the mushrooms around the pork chops.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet and add the onion, garlic, and green peppers and allow to cook until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, bay leaf, lemon juice and sage and bring to a simmer. Cover and allow to cook until the vegetables become fork tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the sauce all over the pork chops and mushrooms. Cover and bake for 1 hour or until the pork chops are cooked through, about 1 hour.
- When finished, serve with white rice.
- Tip: Sear the pork chops in advance and assemble the roasting pan. Bake before dinner for easy dinner prep.
rate this recipe
Oven Smoked Lamb Ribs with Potato and Pea Salad
Banana Cream Pie
Spring Three Bean Salad
Grilled Greens Salad
Lightened Up Chickpea and Mushroom Meatball Platter
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Poblano Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese Cream
Not Your Mama's Pigs in a Blanket
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)