Pork Shoulder Chili
This pork chili will warm you to the core on the coldest day
- step-by-step directions
Pork Shoulder Chili
- 3 pounds Pork shoulder (sinew removed and cut in to 1” cubes)
- 1 pound Bacon (sliced in to Lardons)
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 large Onion (small diced)
- 2 Red Bell Peppers (small diced)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
- 2 teaspoons Toasted Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Toasted and Ground Coriander
- 3 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 bottles IPA
- 1 - 14 ounce can Petite Diced Tomatoes (or crushed Tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons Chipotles in Adobo (puréed)
- 3 cups Low Sodium Tomato Juice
- 2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 8 ounces Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Picked Cilantro Leaves
- Pickled Red Onions (to garnish)
- Zest of Limes
- Lime Wedges
- Cilantro Leaves (to garnish)
- Place a large Dutch oven over high heat. Season the Pork Shoulder with Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper.
- When the pan is hot, add a film of Olive Oil followed by the Pork. Heavily brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side, then remove to a plate.
- Drain any fat from the pan then place back on the heat, lowering it to medium-high. Add the Bacon.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the Bacon gets crisp and has rendered a lot of its fat. Next add the Onion, Red Pepper and Garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables soften and become aromatic.
- Next add the Tomato Paste and all of the dry spices with a good pinch of Salt and some Freshly Ground Black Pepper. Cook until the spices toast and become fragrant then add the Beer (IPA), scraping the bottom of the pot to get all of the caramelized bits.
- Add the Pork back in along with the Diced Tomatoes, Chipotles in Adobo, Tomato Juice and Chicken Stock. Bring the Chili up to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until the Pork is tender and all of the flavors meld, 1 ½ - 2 hours.
- When the Chili is done, give it a taste, adding more seasoning if necessary then ladle in to bowls and garnish with a dollop of Sour Cream, some torn Cilantro, Pickled Red Onions, Lime Zest, and Lime Wedges.
rate this recipe
Oyster Po' Boys
Crispy Baked Potato Casserole
North African Chicken and Spinach Stew
Mini Vegan Sweet Potato Pies
Smoked Cheddar and Creole Mac-n-Cheese
Maple Panna Cotta with Roasted Grapes and Pistachios
Black and White Cookies
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Greek Pasta Salad