Poule au Pot
This recipe couldn't be easier!
- step-by-step directions
Poule au Pot
- 1 chicken (4 pounds, rinsed and patted dry)
- 4 quarts unsalted chicken stock
- 1 carrot (peeled, cut into 1-inch wheels)
- 2 stalks celery (cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 8 pearl onions (trimmed)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 8 shiitake mushrooms (stems removed)
- 8 potatoes (golf ball-sized, such as creamer or german butterball, peeled)
- Bouquet garni (bundle of green leek, parsley stems, thyme and bay leaf tied with butcher's twine)
- 1 young leek (sliced in half)
- Kosher salt and white pepper (to taste)
Fines Herbes Condiment:
- 3 sprigs parsley (leaves only, roughly chopped)
- 3 sprigs chervil (leaves only, roughly chopped)
- 3 sprigs chive (leaves only, roughly chopped)
- 3 sprigs tarragon (leaves only, roughly chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (microplaned, grated)
- 1 shallot (finely minced)
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked white pepper (to taste)
- For the Chicken: Truss the chicken with butcher's twine and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken to the stock pot and add the chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, add the carrot, celery, spring onion, garlic, shiitakes, potatoes, bouquet garni and leeks and cover. Cook for 1-1 1/2 hours. Remove the chicken from the liquid and set it on a carving board to rest. With a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables and distribute between 4-6 shallow bowls. Carve the chicken and add to the bowls along with a 2-ounce ladle full of the chicken liquid. Top with the fines herbes condiment over the chicken.
- For the Condiment: In a medium bowl, add the parsley, chervil, chive, tarragon, garlic, shallot, mustard and olive oil and whisk to combine. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked white pepper.
- Tip: Perfect weekend meal. Use your favorite herbs and vegetables in this dish.
Sausage and Peppers over Soft Polenta
Red Snapper al Chili Ajo Borracho
Lemon Champagne Float
Crispy Everything Bagel Baked Ravioli
Pork Chop Milanese with Peach and Potato Salad
Salmon with Chimichurri Sauce and Cauliflower Mash
Cornmeal Apple Crumble Skillet
Camp Stew (Budae Jiggae)
Pork and Beef Meatballs