Get ready for Halloween with this fun meal!
Pumpkin Pot Pie
- For the Pot Pie:
- 1 12- pound pumpkin (or 6 small sugar pumpkins)
- 7 garlic cloves (sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 carrots (medium diced)
- 4 celery (medium diced)
- 2 cup pearl onions (frozen)
- 4 cup sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 10 sage leaves
- 2 bay leaf
- 4 cup swiss chard (chopped)
- 8 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons butter (divided)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 store bought puff pastry
- For the Egg Wash:
- Preheat an oven to 375°F.
- Cut the top off the pumpkin(s) and scrape out the seeds and stringy bits. Rub inside with 1 tablespoon of softened butter then season the inside generously with salt and pepper. Place cut side up on a sheet tray and cover tightly with foil. Bake 45 minutes, or until flesh is tender. Remove and let cool.
- Melt butter and oil in a large heavy bottomed pot. Add the carrots, celery and garlic and sweat for 5 minutes, just slightly browning the ingredients. Toss in the pearl onions and sweet potato. Add the thyme, nutmeg and sage. Stir the vegetables to coat and then sprinkle with the flour. Mix to combine.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring up to a bowl. Add in the swiss chard and the bay leaf. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in the cream off the heat and adjust the seasoning. Roll out the puff pastry on parchment lined baking sheet and cut a face out of the dough (think jack-o-lantern). Brush entire dough with the egg wash mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Working with the cooled pumpkin, ladle the soup into the pumpkin. Place baked pastry on top and serve.
Similar categories: Ingredients Vegetables Pumpkin Courses & Meals Dinner Lunch Holidays & Occasions Halloween