Adding spinach and quinoa healthy up everybody's favorite side dish!
Quinoa & Spinach Un-Mac n' Cheese
- 2 cups Quinoa
- Chicken Broth
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Shallot (minced)
- 8 ounces Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese (divided)
- 1 bag Fresh Baby Spinach
- 4 tablespoons Butter (melted)
- 3/4 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook the Quinoa according to package instructions substituting Chicken Broth for water.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons of Butter and Shallot. Cook until the Shallot is slightly soft then whisk in Flour. Continue to whisk until a paste forms and light golden.
- Whisk in Milk and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil while whisking. Stir in Nutmeg and Salt along with Cheddar Cheese. When Cheese sauce is smooth remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix cooked Quinoa, Cheese Sauce, Spinach and half of the Parmesan Cheese. Transfer to the casserole dish. Top with the remaining Parmesan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the melted Butter and Panko Breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.