Red Beans and Rice
A delicious twist to a true Creole classic.
- step-by-step directions
Red Beans and Rice
- 1 pound Red Beans
- 1 pound smoked sausage; diced (preferably andouille)
- 1 Smoked Ham Hock
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 3 ribs Celery; small diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper; small diced
- 1 Clove Garlic; minced
- 1 Yellow Onion; small diced
- pinch Cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tablespoon picked Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 10 cups Chicken Stock or Water
- 2 cups White Rice; for serving
- finely sliced Scallions; for garnish
- your favorite Hot Sauce; for garnish
- Place the Beans in a large stock pot and cover with Water by a few inches. Let them soak for 8 hours or overnight. Drain the beans and set aside.
- Place the same stock pot over medium-high heat and add a film of Olive Oil followed by the diced Sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally until the Sausage is browned then remove and set aside. To the same pot, add the Celery, Bell Pepper, Garlic and Onion with a large pinch of Salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables start to become tender and aromatic then add the Cayenne, Smoked Paprika, Bay Leaf, Thyme and Ham Hock. Cook for a minute or two, then add the Chicken Stock or Water and Beans. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally for 1.5 hours.
- After 1-1.5 hours, add the Sausage back in, stir and cook for another 1-2 hours, until the beans are tender and thickened. If the Beans start to get too thick, add more Water or Stock, 1/2 cup at a time to loosen them up. Add the Rice 20 minutes before serving.
- Once the Rice has cooked, and the Beans are tender, mash 1/4 of the Beans with the back of a wooden spoon, mixing afterwards. Remove the Ham Hock and Bay Leaf and give the Beans and Rice a taste, checking for seasoning. Add more Salt and Pepper if needed.
- Serve with a few dashes your favorite Hot Sauce and a sprinkle of Scallions.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bark
Shrimp with Sherry Cream Sauce
Bone Broth Lentil Soup
Asian Chicken Meatball Sub
Nashville Hot Fish with Hushpuppies
Braised Pork Chilaquiles
Autumn Pinata Cake
Bundt Pan Lasagna
Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Gremolata
Fall Harvest Hungarian Goulash
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Yogurt and Scallions