Rhubarb Berry Slab Pie
Why have the same ol' Strawberry Rhubarb when you can take it up a notch with Carla's Berry Slab!
- step-by-step directions
Rhubarb Berry Slab Pie
- 2 recipes Carla's perfect Pie Crust
- 2 tablespoons softened butter (to grease pan)
- 4 Cups rhubarb (chopped into 1/2" pieces)
- 2 quarts strawberries (hulled, cut into quarters)
- 2 pints blackberries
- 1 Cup light brown sugar
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup cornstarch
- 2 Cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg (beaten, for egg wash)
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- powdered sugar (to garnish)
- whipped cream (whipped to soft peaks, to garnish)
- Line the bottom of your oven with a sheet of aluminum foil. Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Grease a 18"x13" rimmed baking sheet with butter.
- Roll out one disc of dough to a 24"x19" rectangle, or to fit your baking sheet. Line the pan with 1 piece of dough and press into the bottom and sides. Roll out the second disc of dough to the same size rectangle and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add rhubarb, berries, sugars and cornstarch, and stir to combine.
- Spread the chocolate chips on the bottom of the dough-lined sheet pan. Add the berry mixture on top of the chocolate chips. Top with the remaining rolled-out dough. Using your fingers, press edges together to seal. Crimp edges with the back of a fork.
- In a small bowl, whisk to combine 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Using a pastry brush, coat the top of the dough with the egg wash. Sprinkle top with turbinado sugar.
- Place in the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes until the pie crust is golden-brown.
- Remove pie from oven and set aside to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- To serve, cut into squares, garnish with powdered sugar and place a dollop of whipped cream on top.
- Tip: To easily transport, place another rimmed baking sheet upside down on top of the completely cooled slab pie. Use plastic wrap to secure the baking sheets together.
Braised Lamb with Spring Vegetables
Peas and Carrots with Polenta
Asparagus & Cheese Tart
Spinach & Artichoke Puffs
Roast Chicken with Lemon-Sage Pan Sauce
Lemon-Sage Compound Butter
Grilled Veggie Burrito with Quinoa
Kale Pesto Naan Pizza
Almond Banana Bread
Carrot Ginger Soup
Shrimp and Plantains in Spicy Tomato Sauce