Why have the same ol' Strawberry Rhubarb when you can take it up a notch with Carla's Berry Slab!
Rhubarb Berry Slab Pie
- 2 Recipes Carla's Perfect Pie Crust
- 2 tablespoons softened butter (to grease pan)
- 4 Cups rhubarb (chopped into 1/2" pieces)
- 2 quarts strawberries (hulled, cut into quarters)
- 2 pints blackberries
- 1 Cup light brown sugar
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup cornstarch
- 2 Cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg (beaten, for egg wash)
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- powdered sugar (to garnish)
- whipped cream (whipped to soft peaks, to garnish)
- Line the bottom of your oven with a sheet of aluminum foil. Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Grease a 18"x13" rimmed baking sheet with butter.
- Roll out one disc of dough to a 24"x19" rectangle, or to fit your baking sheet. Line the pan with 1 piece of dough and press into the bottom and sides. Roll out the second disc of dough to the same size rectangle and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add rhubarb, berries, sugars and cornstarch, and stir to combine.
- Spread the chocolate chips on the bottom of the dough-lined sheet pan. Add the berry mixture on top of the chocolate chips. Top with the remaining rolled-out dough. Using your fingers, press edges together to seal. Crimp edges with the back of a fork.
- In a small bowl, whisk to combine 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Using a pastry brush, coat the top of the dough with the egg wash. Sprinkle top with turbinado sugar.
- Place in the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes until the crust is golden-brown.
- Remove pie from oven and set aside to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- To serve, cut into squares, garnish with powdered sugar and place a dollop of whipped cream on top.
- Tip: To easily transport, place another rimmed baking sheet upside down on top of the completely cooled slab pie. Use plastic wrap to secure the baking sheets together.