Rhubarb Cherry Pie
Use the flavors of summer in this delicious Rhubarb Cherry Pie!
- step-by-step directions
Rhubarb Cherry Pie
- 1 recipe Carla's Perfect Pie Crust
- 1 bottle bourbon
- 12 vanilla beans
Rhubarb Cherry Filling
- 3 cups rhubarb (sliced in 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups fresh cherries or frozen thawed cherries (pitted and sliced in half)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vanilla bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
Whipped Cream (to serve)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (chilled)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 bourbon vanilla bean pod (scraped)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- On a floured surface, roll pie crust to an 11-inch circle. Place in a 9-inch pie plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes while preparing filling. Roll other crust out on floured surface to 11-inch circle and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- For the Vanilla Bourbon: place vanilla beans in the bottle of bourbon and allow to sit for at least 24 hours (the bourbon will become infused and vanilla beans will plump).
- For the Rhubarb Cherry Filling: in a large bowl add the rhubarb, cherries, sugar, lemon, cornstarch, 2 tablespoons of vanilla bourbon and salt and toss to combine. Transfer filling into chilled pie crust.
- In a small bowl add the egg and water and whisk to combine.
- Place second rolled out pie crust on top of filling, fold top and bottom pie crust under and crimp to form a pretty edge. Cut 4 slits in the top of the pie. Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with turbinado sugar and place in the oven. Bake at 400ºF for 20 minutes then reduce the temperature to 350ºF and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until filling has thickened. If the crust is getting too dark then shield with foil. Remove from the oven to a baking rack and allow to cool completely.
- For the Whipped Cream: in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment add the heavy cream. Beat on medium speed until foamy. Sprinkle in powdered sugar and vanilla beans and continue whisking until soft peaks form. Serve on top of pie.
- Add some sour cream to the whipped cream for an added tang!
- Use the vanilla bourbon to make cocktails!
German Potato Salad
Spicy Turkey Lime Soup
Korean BBQ Tacos
Polenta Souffle with Pecorino and Black Pepper
Maple Bacon Cupcakes
Buttermilk Roasted Chicken with Baby Arugula Salad
Strawberry Raspberry "Napoleons"
Lightened Up Turkey Patty Melt
Patty Melt with Sauerkraut
The World's Best Baked Ziti
Grilled Mortadella and Goat Cheese Packets