Rhubarb Filled Pound Cake
Need a fun way to use Rhubarb? Try Clinton's Rhubarb Filled Pound Cake!
- step-by-step directions
For the Pound Cake:
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch of Kosher salt
For the Rhubarb Compote:
- 1 pound rhubarb (ends trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Sour Cream Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- For the Pound Cake: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, sour cream, vegetable oil and lemon zest until combined. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 35 - 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean from the center of the loaf. Allow to cool slightly, then remove from the pan to cool completely. Set aside until ready to use.
- For the Rhubarb Compote: In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar, lemon juice and a pinch of Kosher salt. Bring to a boil, over medium heat, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat and simmer until the rhubarb is tender stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- For the Sour Cream Frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sour cream. Whip until combined. Slowly add in the confectioners' sugar and increase the speed until the frosting is smooth and creamy. Add in the vanilla extract and salt until fully incorporated. Set aside until ready to use.
- To Assemble: Place the pound cake on a cutting board with the long side in front of you. Using a serrated knife slice, the top of the pound cake off and set aside, about a 1/2-thick piece. Cut a V-shape leaving a 1 inch boarder, halfway deep into the pound cake. Remove the cake and set aside. This will serve as the area for your rhubarb compote filling. Remove and discard the excess pound cake.
- Spoon the rhubarb compote into your hulled out pound cake and top with the removed pound cake top. Using your sour cream frosting, frost the top and sides of the pound cake until fully covered. Slice into 1-inch thick pieces and serve.
- Tip: Make the rhubarb compote in advance and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Chocolate Peppermint Marshmallows
Molasses Glazed Ham with Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits
Peppermint Chocolate Torte
Fried Meatballs Stuffed with Mozzarella
Gingerbread Man Cookie Sandwiches
Perfectly Spiced Roast Chicken
Classic Holiday Brisket
5 Ingredient Crinkle Cookies
Polenta with Sausage Ragu and Fresh Mozzarella