Roasted Pickled Pepper Hero
A delicious sandwich that will soon become a staple!
- step-by-step directions
Roasted Sweet and Hot Peppers
- 1 pound red bell peppers
- 1/4 pound banana peppers
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup red onion (peeled, sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled, thinly sliced)
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus additional to drizzle)
- 3 cans artichoke hearts (drained, halved)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 6 Hero Rolls (toasted)
- 1 pound black forest ham (thinly sliced)
- 1 pound provolone (thinly sliced)
- 1 pound salami (thinly sliced)
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella (thinly sliced)
- 2 bunches basil leaves
- 3 cups roasted sweet and hot peppers (plus additional to serve)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- For the Roasted Sweet and Hot Peppers: Preheat the broiler. Place the peppers on a baking sheet under the broiler and char on all sides. Remove to a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to steam for 10 minutes. Remove from the bowl and peel the skin off using a towel. Remove the stems and seeds and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place the peppers in one 4-cup mason jar. Add the onion, garlic and oregano to the mason jar.
- In a large saucepan add the red wine, red wine vinegar, sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Whisk to dissolve the salt and sugar. Pour over the peppers in the mason jars. Allow to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate and marinate overnight before serving.
- For the Hero: Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle the artichokes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill and allow to char on both sides and warm through, about 2 minutes per side. Squeeze with lemon juice during the last minute of cooking. Remove from the grill and set aside.
- On the toasted hero rolls, add a layer of ham, provolone, salami, mozzarella, basil leaves, 1/2 cup pickled peppers and drizzle with additional olive oil, if desired. Place the top bun on top of the sandwich, press down and wrap in parchment paper to pack for a picnic! Slice in half before serving.
- Tip: Store the pickled peppers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs