Roasted Pork Shoulder with Pan Gravy
A tasty dish from Michael Symon!
- step-by-step directions
For the Pork:
- 6-8 pound pork shoulder (boneless, skinless, rolled, and tied)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 bunch carrots (peeled, cut in half)
- 8 red-skinned potatoes (scrubbed)
- 2 medium onions (peeled, quartered)
- 6 garlic cloves (peeled)
For the Gravy:
- 4 tablespoons rice flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves (chopped)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- For the Pork: Season the pork well with paprika, salt and pepper. Set a roasting rack inside of a roasting pan and place the pork on the rack. Place the roasting pan in the oven and roast for 3 hours, basting periodically. After 3 hours, remove the pork from the oven and gently lift the rack out of the tray. Scatter the carrots, potatoes, onion and garlic in an even layer and season with salt and pepper. Place the rack and pork back on top of the vegetables and continue to roast for another 2-3 hours, until the vegetables are caramelized and the pork is tender and the internal temperature reaches 145ºF. Remove from the oven and allow the pork to rest for 15 minutes while you make the pan gravy.
- For the Gravy: Place the pan containing the vegetables on the stove over medium heat. Add the rice flour and stir to coat the vegetables. Stir in the stock while scrapping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer, so the gravy can fully thicken, stir in the parsley. Serve the pork with lots of vegetables and the pan gravy on top.
- Tip: Make pulled pork sandwiches with your leftover pork shoulder!
Pork and Beef Meatballs
Savory Rye French Toast with Corned Beef Hash and Cheddar Onion Butter
Paella with Chorizo, Shrimp, Calamari, Mussels, Green Peas, and Curry Butter
Strawberry Linzer Cheesecake
Ricotta Gnudi with Brown Butter and Sage
BBQ Pork Dumplings
Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs with Shaved Carrot Salad
Kandi's Creamed Corn
Classic German Chocolate Cake
Almond Braised Chicken Thighs with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts