This delicious and spicy Tex Mex sandwich is a must try meal
Rock Shrimp Torta by Mario Batali
- 1 pound Rock Shrimp
- 1 cup Fine Corn Meal
- Kosher and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers (chopped)
- 1/2 Red Onion (sliced)
- 1 Orange (segmented)
- 1 Habanero Pepper
- 1/2 bottle Mexican Beer
- Serrano Grapefruit Salsa
- 1 Serrano Pepper (chopped)
- 1 Red Onion (minced)
- 4 Scallions (chopped)
- 1/2 Grapefruit (juiced)
- 2 cups Green Cabbage (sliced paper thin)
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (chopped)
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- To Serve
- Mayo (to serve)
- 6 Telera Buns (halved and toasted)
- 1 Avocado (sliced)
- Toss the Rock Shrimp with the fine Corn Meal and a generous pinch of Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add a few tablespoons of Olive Oil. Add the Shrimp and cook until just opaque, and then remove to a bowl. Add a tablespoon of Oil if needed, and then add the Jalapenos and Red Onion, cooking until browned but still crisp. Add the Habanero Peppers, Orange Segments, and Beer, and cook until everything is fragrant, and then add the Shrimp back to the pan. Remove from heat once the sauce comes together, and then remove the Habaneros from the pan.
- Combine the Serrano Grapefruit Salsa ingredients and mix well, seasoning with Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper. Allow the salsa to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Toss together the Cabbage, Lime Juice, Cilantro, and a pinch of Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper.
- Spread Mayonnaise (to taste) on the toasted buns, pile spoonfuls of the Shrimp with the salsa, Slaw, and Avocado slices.