Roman-Style Stuffed Artichokes
Using these simple ingredients can make your artichokes the perfect side!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 Italian loaf
- 6 medium artichokes
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup Pecorino Romano (grated)
- 3/4 cup Parmesan (grated, plus additional to garnish)
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled, finely minced)
- 1/2 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup mint (finely chopped)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons (zested, juiced)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- water (to cover artichokes)
- For Bread Crumbs: Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In the bowl of a food processor, tear up a loaf of day old Italian bread and pulse until bread crumbs are coarse. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake until the bread crumbs are lightly toasted and dried out. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs for artichokes.
- For Artichokes: To clean the artichokes, cut the stems off so the artichokes stand upright. Peel the outer skin of the stem off and slice. Pull off the tough outer green leaves until you get to the more tender center that is slightly yellow. Trim the top 1/4 off of the artichoke and scoop out the center choke. Place the sliced stems in the bottom of a Dutch oven and place the trimmed artichokes on top.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the bread crumbs, Pecorino, Parmesan, parsley, mint, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil, and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the bread crumb mixture evenly amongst the artichokes, packing it into the center as well as the outer leaves. Pour the white wine in the bottom of the pot and add enough cold water to reach the bottom of the artichoke leaves, about 1-inch. Place the Dutch oven over medium-high heat and bring to a gentle boil. Cover and reduce the heat. Simmer until the artichokes are tender and the leaves pull away easily, about 40-45 minutes. Serve the artichokes warm or at room temperature. Garnish with grated Parmesan.
- Tip: Use a serrated knife and a pairing knife to make trimming the artichokes easier.
rate this recipe
Sweet and Spicy Lemonade Grilled Chicken
Cherry Pink Lemonade
Dutch-Oven Peach Cobbler
Cedar Plank Halibut with Corn Salad
Wedge Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese and Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
Crunchy Vegetable Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
Pork Tenderloin with Apricot Dipping Sauce
Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Dip Triangles
Sunday Lamb Roast with Paloise Sauce
Hibiscus and Elderflower Mocktail
Pimm's Royale Punch