This traditional Greek dish is cheesy & delicious!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus more)
- 8 slices halloumi cheese (cut into 1-inch slices, about 8 ounces)
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 2 cloves garlic (smashed with skin on)
- 2 tablespoons Greek brandy
- 1 lemon (juice)
- pita bread (soft and warmed to serve)
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Once hot, add cheese slices, garlic cloves and oregano. Sear the cheese until golden brown, 1-2 minutes then flip and sear on the other side, 1 minute.
- Pull pan off the heat. Very carefully, standing away from the pan, add the brandy and flambé with lighter. Return to heat. Allow flame to subside. Add lemon juice and swirl to combine. To finish, drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve immediately with warm pita bread.
- Have all ingredients prepared ahead of time. The process goes quickly!
- Remove the brandy for a kid-friendly appetizer!
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Dinner Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Cheese Appetizers Cuisine Greek
rate this recipe
Lightened Up Chickpea and Mushroom Meatball Platter
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Poblano Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese Cream
Grilled Greens Salad
Not Your Mama's Pigs in a Blanket
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)
Pan-Seared Salmon with White Wine Butter Sauce, Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake
Roasted Chicken and Pimento Mac and Cheese