Salsa Verde Chicken and Dumpling Soup
Perfect for a family on the go!
- step-by-step directions
Salsa Verde Chicken Soup:
- 2 pounds chicken thighs (boneless, skinless, cut into strips)
- 1 red onion (peeled, small dice)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded, minced)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (thawed)
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1 and 1/2 cups store-bought salsa verde
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped, plus more to garnish)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
- cotija cheese (crumbled, to garnish)
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- For the Salsa Verde Chicken Soup: In a slow cooker with the setting on high, add the chicken, onion, jalapeno, corn, garbanzo beans, salsa verde, cilantro, and cumin. Season generously with salt and pepper and add chicken stock. Cover and cook until chicken is tender and flavors have melded together, about 3 to 4 hours. Alternatively, cook on low for 6-7 hours. Season with salt and pepper again if necessary. If using, stir in the heavy cream.
- Meanwhile, make the biscuit dough. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- For the Dumplings: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, pulse together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add butter and pulse again until just combined. Add the milk and pulse until mixture comes together. Remove to a clean work surface and form into a shaggy disk.
- Using your hands, break the dough apart into golf ball-sized pieces and drop into the soup during the last 30-45 minutes of cooking. If you prefer a more golden brown dumpling, preheat the broiler on low, remove the insert of the slow cooker once the dumplings have cooked and transfer to the broiler for 5 minutes to toast the tops of the dumplings. Or preheat the oven to 400ºF and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with cilantro, cotija cheese, lime wedges, and serve!
- Tip: Spice up your dumplings with some herbs or cheese folded into the dough for a tasty twist!
rate this recipe
Cedar Plank Halibut with Corn Salad
Wedge Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese and Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
Crunchy Vegetable Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
Pork Tenderloin with Apricot Dipping Sauce
Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Dip Triangles
Sunday Lamb Roast with Paloise Sauce
Hibiscus and Elderflower Mocktail
Pimm's Royale Punch
Royal Roast Chicken and Bacon Sandwich
Pizza Spring Rolls
Steamed Artichokes with Brie Fondue