The perfect game day feast!
Mario Batali's Sausage and Pepper Hero
- 4 Sweet and/or Hot Italian Sausages (can also use Turkey sausage if desired)
- 2 Red Bell Peppers (cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 2 Yellow Bell Peppers (cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 2 Red Onions (cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 1 Clove Garlic (finely minced)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablepsoon Butter
- 4 Hero Rolls
- 8 thin slices Provolone Cheese
- To make the peperonata, heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook over high heat for 4 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic, cook for 30 seconds. Simmer 5 minutes until cooked through. Remove from heat and season to taste.
- Preheat a grill or grillpan to medium-high heat, and cook the sausages, turning as they brown on each side, until they are cooked through, about 12 minutes. While sausage is still hot, top with two overlapped slices of provolone.
- Sandwich into toasted bun and top with the peperonata to serve.