Savory Rye French Toast with Corned Beef Hash and Cheddar Onion Butter
One delicious spin on French Toast from Chicago's Bianca Vallone!
- step-by-step directions
Cheddar Onion Butter:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled, small dice)
- 1 and 1/2 cups unsalted butter (softened)
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese yellow slices (pre-packaged)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Corned Beef Hash:
- 1/2 cup olive oil (amount not specified)
- 1 and 1/2 cups green bell pepper (stemmed, seeded, small dice)
- 1 and 1/2 cups yellow onion (peeled, small dice)
- 3 Yukon Gold Potatoes (peeled, about 1 and 1/2 cups)
- 5 cups corned beef (cut into 1/4-inch cubes)
Savory Rye French Toast:
- 12 large eggs
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 loaf Rye bread (1-inch to 1 1/4-inch thick, 10 slices total)
- 1 recipe Corned beef hash
- 1 recipe cheddar onion butter (to garnish)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (for greasing)
- For the Cheddar Onion Butter: In a small saute pan, over medium-low heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and warm through. Add onions and cook until softened, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add butter and whip on medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Add cheese, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic powder and whip on low speed until fully combined.
- Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and add Worcestershire sauce and cooled onions. Stir to combine and transfer to bowl.
- For the Corned Beef Hash: Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and boil until they have a little chew, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl to cool. Cut potatoes into a little less than a 1/4-inch dice and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add olive oil. Add peppers and onions and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Add boiled potatoes and corned beef and stir to combine. Cook until potatoes and corned beef are golden brown, about 5-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- For the Savory Rye French Toast: Preheat the oven to 250ºF. Preheat a griddle pan over medium heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and whisk until smooth. Add pepper, salt and garlic powder and whisk to combine. Slowly whisk in milk and heavy cream until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Add butter to griddle and melt completely.
- Using tongs or hands, and working in small batches, dip bread slices into prepared egg mixture. Gently place slices onto griddle pan and cook, flipping halfway through until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes per side. Place finished slices onto a baking sheet and transfer to oven to keep warm until all slices are finished.
- To Serve: Cut French toast slices on the diagonal and shingle onto a platter. Spoon warmed corned beef mixture over the top of the slices and garnish with dabs of prepared butter. Allow the butter to melt to create a sauce for the dish and serve.
- Tip: Crunched for time? Substitute frozen and thawed hash browns for the potatoes to cut down on prep time!
rate this recipe
Oven Smoked Lamb Ribs with Potato and Pea Salad
Banana Cream Pie
Spring Three Bean Salad
Grilled Greens Salad
Lightened Up Chickpea and Mushroom Meatball Platter
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Poblano Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese Cream
Not Your Mama's Pigs in a Blanket
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)