Don't miss out on making the queen of soul's healthy, tasty salad!
Seared Cod with Watercress Salad
- 6 Cod Filets (about 6 ounces each; skinless)
- 1 Lemon (Zest & Juice)
- 1 Lime (Zest & Juice)
- 6 tablespoons Butter (melted)
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves (depending on your love of garlic)
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup Extra- Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Fresh Basil
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Fresh Chives
- 1 tablespoon Minced Shallots
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Garlic Clove (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Watercress Salad
- 1 pound Watercress (tough stems trimmed)
- 2 large Red Tomatoes (cut into bite size wedges)
- 1 large Yellow Tomato (cut into bite size wedges)
- 1 Sweet Onion (such as Vidalia; thinly sliced)
- 1 large Cucumber (peeled, quartered lengthwise and sliced)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (seeded, quartered lengthwise, and sliced)
- 1 cup Radishes (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Mushrooms (quartered)
- 1/2 cup Hearts of Palm (cut into bite size pieces)
- Season the Cod with Salt and Pepper on all sides.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high. Add a small amount of Olive Oil just to coat the pan and add the Fish, making sure not to over crowd the pan. Cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes then flip and cook for 2-3 more minutes until just cooked through and golden. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the Lemon Juice, Lime Juice and Butter into the pan and allow Butter to melt. Toss in the Garlic and season with Salt and Pepper. Toss in Zest and stir to together. Plate Fish and top with sauce. Serve warm with Watercress Salad.
- To make the Vinaigrette:
- Combine the Oil, Vinegar, Basil, Chives, Shallots, Mustard, Garlic, Salt, and Pepper in a container with a tightly sealed top (a small canning jar works well). Cover tightly and shake well, until dressing is well blended. Use immediately or refrigerate, covered, until ready to use. Shake well before serving.
- To make the Watercress Salad:
- In a large bowl, toss the Watercress, Red Tomatoes, Yellow Tomato, Onion, Cucumber, Bell Pepper, Radishes, Mushrooms, and hearts of Palm. Drizzle with the Vinaigrette and toss to coat.