This tangy sauce will spice up any old sandwich. Give it a try.
- step-by-step directions
- 12 hot, banana peppers (jarred, stems removed)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a food processor, puree the banana peppers, garlic, mustard and vinegar.
- Pour the puree into a medium saucepan, then add the sugar and bring it to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer the mixture for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl or juice glass, mix the flour and 1/2 cup water to make a smooth paste. Whisk it into the pepper mixture and continue to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring regularly, until it becomes very thick. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Pour cooled sauce into a covered nonreactive container, such as a glass jar. The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 month.