This delicious twist on short ribs is sure to melt your taste buds
Short Ribs with Onion Jam and Radish Salad
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 pounds Beef Short Ribs (2-3' pieces with bones)
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Carrots (chopped)
- 3 Celery Ribs (chopped)
- 3 large Yellow Onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (smashed)
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 3/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 cups Water
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- 1 loaf Whole Wheat Country Bread (3/4" slices)
- 8 tablespoons Butter (softened)
- Radish Salad
- Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 bunch Butter Radishes (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup Toasted Sliced Almonds
- 1/4 cup Chopped Chives
- For Short Ribs: Season Ribs generously with Salt.
- Heat a large sauté pan or slow cooker with searing feature with a few tablespoons of Oil. Sear the Ribs on all sides until rich golden brown. Remove to a plate.
- Add the Carrots, Celery and Onions to the pan to sauté, seasoning with Salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Add the Garlic and deglaze with the Wine and Balsamic Vinegar. Make sure to scrap up brown bits from the pan. If using a pan, carefully transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the Water, Thyme and the browned Short Ribs. Turn slow cooker on low and cover. Cook for 6 hours.
- When meat is cooked, begin to toast the Bread. Butter the bread and toast in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. The buttered bread should brown lightly and toast should be crisp but not hard.
- Serve shredded meat with the Buttered Toast and a side of Radish Salad.
- For the Radish Salad: Whisk together the Lemon Zest and Juice, Olive Oil, a pinch of Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper in a medium bowl. Add the Radishes, Almonds and Chives and toss to coat. Taste for seasoning, adjusting as needed.