Shrimp and Grits
You won't want to miss the opportunity to make this classic dish of the South
- step-by-step directions
Shrimp and Grits
- 1 cup Stone Ground Grits
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Butter (plus 4 tablespoons cold; cubed)
- 3 pounds Shrimp (21-25 size; peeled and deveined; tails on)
- 2 tablespoons Spice Rub (below)
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 3 Bell Peppers (1 red & 1 yellow & 1 green) cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 2 ribs Celery (1/4-inch dice)
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 bunch Chives (sliced)
- 1 Lemon (halved)
- Spice Rub
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Dried Thyme
- Cook the Grits to package instructions with Sugar. Season to taste and stir in a few tablespoons of Butter to finish.
- Season the Shrimp with the Creole seasoning (Spice Rub) and lots of Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, rubbing the spice mixture into the Shrimp.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the Shrimp and sauté, tossing as they cook, for 1-2 minutes, or until just opaque, and then remove from pan.
- Add another tablespoon of Oil, and add the Onions, Bell Peppers, Celery and Garlic, cooking until fragrant, then deglaze with the Wine. Add the Worcestershire, Chicken Stock, Cream, Chives, and cubed Butter. Stir well to combine and bring to a boil.
- Simmer the sauce until it darkens, about 20 to 30 minutes. Add the Shrimp and toss to coat.
- Pour Grits onto a platter and top with the Shrimp. Squeeze fresh Lemon over the Shrimp and serve immediately.
Poached Pears with Mascarpone Cream
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Yogurt and Scallions
Apple Cider Donut Bread Pudding
Bella Notte Spaghetti
Ratatouille Tarte Tatin
Corned Beef Sandwich Bread Pudding
Fiesta Corn Dip
Grilled Pizza Margherita
Pickle-Brined Fried Chicken Biscuit
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Chicago-Style Polish Sausage
Prosciutto and Apple Stuffed Chicken Legs with Sauteed Swiss Chard