Dig into this tasty dish!
Carla Hall's Swamp Thing
- For the Shrimp:
- 1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 5 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1 onion (medium diced)
- 2 carrots (medium diced)
- 2 celery stalks (medium diced)
- 1 14 .5-ounce can whole plum tomatoes (crushed)
- 4 cup collard greens (ribboned)
- 2 cup sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 parsnips (peeled and diced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 quart chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus more for pan
- For the Grits: For the Grits: salt and pepper to taste For the Grits:
- 2 cups Quick Grits
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 cup Fresh or frozen corn
- 8 tablespoons Butter
- Vegetable Oil
- For the Shrimp: In a heavy bottomed pot, over high heat, add olive oil. Toss in the onions and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Toss in all the other vegetables and add olive oil if it seems dry. Coat all the vegetables in oil and continue to cook over high heat, just slightly browning everything.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir. Deglaze with the chicken stock. Add the collard greens, thyme, bay leaf and cayenne. and stir. Add in the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook until the vegetables cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Right before serving, toss in the shrimp and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the shrimp is just cooked through.
- Plate in a soup bowl on top of fried grits. Season to taste. Serve immediately.
- For the Grits: In a medium pot, heat cream and water to a boil.
- Slowly whisk in grits, avoiding lumps. Cook grits according to package time.
- Once cooked stir in corn and butter until melted and incorporated.
- Pour into a greased baking dish and allow to cool. Refrigerate overnight. Remove grits from the refrigerator and cut into 3 inch squares.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat with vegetable oil. Fry grits in hot oil until golden on all sides. Remove from pan.