Shrimp Louie Salad
Clinton's San Francisco inspired dish hits the spot!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 pound medium raw shrimp (peeled, deveined, tails removed)
- 1 lemon (cut in quarters)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons relish
- 1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 heads romaine (chopped)
- 2 avocados (sliced)
- 3 eggs
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes (cut in wedges)
- 1 lemon (cut into wedges)
- For the Poached Shrimp: Bring a large pot of water to a simmer, over medium heat, add the lemon, peppercorn, and garlic. Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl next to the stove. Add the shrimp to the simmering liquid, cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the shrimp is pink and firm. Using a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp and place in the ice water bath to stop the shrimp from cooking. Remove from the ice bath and chop the shrimp. Set aside until ready to use.
- For the Dressing: In a medium bowl, add the mayonnaise, chili sauce, ketchup, relish, worchestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Whisk to combine.
- For the Hard Boiled Eggs: Place eggs in a small saucepan, add water to cover the eggs. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the water to a boil, it will take about 7-8 minutes. Turn off heat and cover for 8 minutes. Remove eggs to a colander and run cold water over the cooked eggs. After the eggs are cool, peel and quarter. Set aside.
- To Assemble the Salad: In four salad bowls arrange the romaine, then the avocado, eggs, tomatoes and shrimp in little piles separately around the salad. Drizzle with the dressing. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Tip: This type of salad is called a composed salad. The ingredients are placed in separate piles and tossed together after being served.
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal