Shrimp Salad Sandwich
A fun twist on your classic lobster roll!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water (warmed)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup olive oil oil
Rock Shrimp Roll:
- 1 lemon (thinly sliced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic (peeled, smashed)
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 pounds rock shrimp (peeled, deveined)
- 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise (recipe above)
- 2 celery stalks (rinsed, diced small)
- 1 lemon (zested, juiced)
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (chopped)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (recipe above)
- 4 top sliced hot dog buns
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat a griddle over medium heat.
- For the Homemade Mayonnaise: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, add egg yolks, water, white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, salt and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the food processor and blend until emulsified. Remove the mayonnaise to a bowl and set aside.
- For the Rock Shrimp Roll: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lemon, bay leaves, garilc and peppercorns. Prepare a large bowl of ice water and set it near the stove. Cook the rock shrimp in the water until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from the pot and place immediately in the ice water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled, drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place cooked shrimp in a large bowl and stir in mayonnaise, celery, lemon zest and juice, celery seed and dill. Season with salt and set aside.
- Brush the sides and tops of the buns with mayo. Place the rolls on the griddle and toast until golden brown on the top and sides. Remove toasted buns to a clean work surface and fill with the shrimp salad and serve.
- Tip: To pack a cooler, place the shrimp salad in a small zip top bag over a large zip top bag with ice. Toast the buns and keep warm in a towel. Assemble once at the beach!
rate this recipe
Cheesy Garlic Donuts
Red Wine Salted Popcorn
Chocolate Baseball Extravaganza
Gazpacho Bloody Mary
Thai Fried Shrimp Cakes with Sweet Chili Sauce
Fried Peach Hand-Pies
Taco Grilled Cheese
Lemon Tendercake with Blueberry Compote
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese
Jam & Gin
Bacon and Ramp Scrambled Eggs