Shrimp Summer Rolls with Sweet Chili Sauce
Can't go wrong with a Shrimp Summer Roll!
- step-by-step directions
Summer Shrimp Roll:
- 12 large shrimp (headless, peeled and de-veined)
- 3 ounces vermicelli rice noodles
- 6 8- inch round rice paper wrapper
- 1 English cucumber (julienned)
- 1/2 bunch scallions (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint (leaves only)
- 1/2 bunch Thai basil (whole leaves only)
- Kosher salt to taste
Sweet Chili Sauce:
- 3/4 cup sambal oelek (chili paste)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- For Shrimp Summer Rolls: In a large pot, over medium high heat, bring salted water to a boil and lower to a simmer. Prepare a large bowl of ice water and set it near the stove. Poach shrimp in simmering water until just cooked through, about 3 - 4 minutes and remove to the ice water to stop the cooking. Once cooled, remove shrimp to paper towel-lined plate and when dry, cut the shrimp lengthwise down the middle. Set aside.
- Bring the pot of water back to a boil and cook the vermicelli noodles in the same water, according to the package directions.
- Prepare a large bowl of warm water. Submerge the rice paper wrappers in water until softened and pliable, about 30 seconds. Remove to a cutting board and smooth with hands. Place 3 shrimp halves down the center of the wrapper. Top with vermicelli noodles, cucumber, scallions, mint and Thai basil.
- Fold the bottom lip of the rice paper over the noodle and cucumber mixture, fold the sides inward and roll upwards to form a seam.
- For Sweet Chili Sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together the sambal oelek, honey, rice vinegar and lime juice.
- To Serve: Slice the Shrimp Summer Rolls in half on a bias, and serve with a the Sweet Chili Sauce.
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal