Low and slow transforms this sauce wow to kapow!
Slow-Cooker Spicy Eggplant Sauce
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 medium Eggplant (1" chunks)
- 1 Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (smashed)
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1-2 teaspoons Chili Flakes
- 2 - 28 ounce cans Whole Peeled Plum Tomatoes
- 2 sprigs Oregano
- 1/2 cup Basil Leaves (loosely packed)
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high with a few tablespoons of Olive Oil. Add the Eggplant in batches, to avoid overcrowding the pan, and season with Salt. Sauté until slightly softened and pale golden, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer each cooked batch to the slow-cooker.
- Once Eggplant is cooked, add a few more tablespoons of Olive Oil to the pan and sauté the Onion for 3-4 minutes, until caramelized, seasoning with Salt. Add the Garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in the Tomato Paste and Chili Flakes and cook until rust colored, about 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the slow-cooker along with the cooking oil in the pan.
- Pour the Tomatoes, Oregano, Basil and Balsamic Vinegar into the slow-cooker and season with Salt and Pepper. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve sauce with your favorite noodle or store in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.