Smoked Whitefish Calzones
Make your calzone a bit differently with this tasty recipe!
- step-by-step directions
Smoked Whitefish Calzones
- 1 recipe pizza bread (see below)
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh marjoram (chopped)
- 1 pound smoked Carlson’s whitefish (substitute any smoked flakey white fish, flaked into 1-inch pieces by hand)
- 3/4 pound hot soppressata (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup everything bagel seasoning
- Pizza Bread Dough
- 1/4 cup light red or white wine (Ruspo from Cappezzana)
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 ounces brewer's yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons olive oil (plus more to oil bowl)
- flour (for dusting board)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Place clean pizza stone in oven to preheat.
- Dust a clean work surface lightly with flour. Take first of 4 rounds of dough and flatten with fingers and palms. Stretch out to about 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch thick and oval-shaped.
- Spread 1/2 cup ricotta onto the upper part of one piece of rolled dough. leaving a 1-inch border. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, top with 1 tablespoon of marjoram, ¼ pound of the smoked fish flakes and a 1/4 of the hot.
- Fold dough to form a half moon and crimp the edges to seal. Repeat with other 3 pieces. Place on stone in oven and cook until dark golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- For the Pizza Bread: place wine, water and yeast in a large bowl and stir until dissolved. Add honey, salt and olive oil and mix through. Add 1 cup flour and mix with a wooden spoon until it becomes a loose batter. Add 2 more cups of flour and stir in as much as you can with the wooden spoon (2 to 3 minutes).
- Bring dough together with your hands and turn out on to flour board or marble surface. Knead about 6 to 8 minutes until you have made a smooth, firm dough. Place in a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise in the warmest part of the kitchen for 45 minutes.
- For individual pizzas or calzones, cut the dough into four equal pieces and knead into rounds. For one large pizza, knead into one large round. For both, let rest 15 minutes.
- Make your own bagel seasoning with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic flakes, onion flakes and course salt. Or, simply season with some flakey sea salt.
- If you don't have a pizza stone, use a baking sheet. Preheat in a hot oven, then place the raw calzones on the hot baking sheet to bake.
- Use store-bought pizza dough.
- Substitute the hot soppressata with pepperoni.
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal