S'more Cream Puffs
Leave it to Carla to find a new way to enjoy the classic s'more. It might even be better than the delicious original.
- step-by-step directions
S'more Cream Puffs
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 2 cups Unbleached Flour
- 7 Eggs
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 5 Large Egg Yolks
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Buttet at Room temperature (cut into tablespoon-sized pieces)
- 8 ounce Semisweet chocolate chips
- Crushed graham crackers (to top)
- Mini Marshmallows (to top)
- For the Cream Puffs: Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line sheet pans with parchment and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- In a medium pot, bring water, butter, and salt to a boil. Add all flour at once, turning heat down to medium-low. Begin to beat until mixture pulls away from sides and forms a ball.
- Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat at medium speed until cooled slightly. Turn speed up to high and add the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Do not add the next egg until current egg is fully incorporated.
- When dough comes together, around 10 minutes, transfer to piping bag. Pipe 3 inch rounds onto the parchment lined sheet pan, leaving space between each.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until outside is golden brown and the inside of the puffs sound hollow. Cool completely before filling.
- To fill the puffs, transfer the pastry cream to a piping bag, with a medium tip. Use the tip to break a small hole in the puff, and fill.
- For the Cream Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch. Place over a low heat whisking gently just until the mixture bubbles, about 15 minutes. Immediately remove from the heat. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl. Stir in vanilla extract. Press plastic wrap directly on the top of the cream and place in fridge to cool completely, approximately 2 hours.
- To Finish: Heat chocolate in a double boiler. Add the room temperature butter, a piece at a time, melting into the chocolate. Dip puffs into mixture.
- Top with crushed graham crackers and mini marshmallows. Allow to dry on a parchment lined sheet pan.
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat