Serve with a side of herbed rice for some for a real taste of the south
Smothered Chicken with Buttermilk Gravy
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 Chicken Things (bone-in; skin on)
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Yellow Onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons Parsley (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons Thyme (chopped)
- 1 Lemon (zest & juice)
- Herbed Rice
- 1 1/2 cups Carolina Rice (rinsed)
- 3 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Parsley (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Thyme (chopped)
- 1 Lemon (zested)
- In a high-sided skillet, heat a few tablespoons of Olive Oil over medium-high. Season Chicken liberally with Salt and Pepper then place skin side down in the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden and crispy, then flip and continue to cook on the second side for 2-3 minutes until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the Onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes, just until softened. Stir in Garlic and cook until fragrant. Sprinkle in the Flour and stir to toast and form a paste.
- Whisk in the Stock to deglaze. Add the Buttermilk, Herbs, Lemon Zest and return Chicken to the pan. Bring up to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until Chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with Herbed Rice.
- For Herbed Rice: Cook Rice according to package instructions. Allow Rrice to sit for 5 minutes after cooking then fluff with a fork. Add the chopped Herbs and Zest and fluff to combine.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Chicken Breast Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken Cuisine Southern