Mario's classic sandwich proves that you don't have to visit the big easy to get an authentic taste of New Orleans!
Soft Shell Crab Po'Boys
- 8 Soft Shell Crabs (cleaned and rinsed in cold water)
- Flour (for dredging)
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Vegetable Oil (to fry)
- 8 Sesame Seed Burger Buns (lightly toasted; to serve)
- Napa Slaw
- 1 head Napa Cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 2 Serrano Chiles (sliced)
- 1 Lime (juice and zest)
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Chives (finely chopped)
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
- Ramp Tartar Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Crème Fraiche
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Horseradish (freshly grated)
- 1/4 cup Ramps (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Capers (roughly chopped)
- Preheat an inch and a half of vegetable oil to 360°F.
- Place Flour in a shallow dish and season generously with Salt and Old Bay Seasoning and dust the Crabs in the seasoned Flour.
- Carefully submerge in the Oil -- being careful as the Crabs will splatter as they cook. Fry until crispy and golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Season immediately with Salt.
- Combine the Slaw ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Whisk together Tartar Sauce ingredients and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Assemble sandwiches with a Soft Shell Crab, Slaw, and Tartar sauce on each. Serve immediately.
Similar categories: Ingredients Fish & Seafood Lobster & Crab Courses & Meals Lunch Quick & Easy Lunches Sandwiches