Sour Cherry Pie
Try this sweet and sour Cherry dessert.
- step-by-step directions
Sour Cherry Pie
- 8 cups fresh sour cherries (pitted)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoon quick tapioca
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine (diced)
- 5 cup flour (plus 1 cup for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable shortening (diced)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- In a large bowl add cherries, sugar, tapioca and almond extract and toss to combine. Allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Remove refrigerated crusts to a floured surface. Roll until 1/8-inch thick, about 13-inches in diameter. Place bottom crust in pie plate.
- Fill crust with cherry mixture and dot with butter. Cover with second pie crust, fold crust over and crimp edges. Cut several slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake 45 to 50 min. until crust is golden brown and filling is cooked and juicy. Remove and allow to cool.
- For the Pie Crust:
- In a large bowl add flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and whisk to combine. Add shortening and cut into the flour mixture using two knives until resembles pea-sized pieces.
- In a 1-cup liquid measuring cup add egg and lightly beat. Add cider vinegar and fill until 1 cup full. Add to the flour mixture and stir to combine with a fork until comes together. Add additional 1/2 cup flour and mix to combine.
- Flatten into 6 disks, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Tip: 1. Use frozen sour cherries to have this pie all year long!
- Tip:2. Pie crust recipe makes 3 double crusted pies, freeze remaining pie dough to use later.
Camp Stew (Budae Jiggae)
Salmon with Chimichurri Sauce and Cauliflower Mash
Cornmeal Apple Crumble Skillet
Pork and Beef Meatballs
Savory Rye French Toast with Corned Beef Hash and Cheddar Onion Butter
Paella with Chorizo, Shrimp, Calamari, Mussels, Green Peas, and Curry Butter
Strawberry Linzer Cheesecake
Ricotta Gnudi with Brown Butter and Sage