Southern Chopped Salad
A fun twist on a Chopped Salad!
- step-by-step directions
Harissa Spice Blend:
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed (toasted and ground)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed (toasted and ground)
- 1/2 cup dried ancho chili (ground)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (toasted and ground)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
Crispy Black Eyed Peas:
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas (picked over, rinsed and dried)
- 3 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves (peeled and smashed)
- 7 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
White BBQ Sauce Dressing:
- 4 ounces mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 ounces prepared horseradish (extra hot)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 head romaine (chiffonade)
- 1 bunch lacinato kale (chiffonade)
- 1 English cucumber (small dice)
- 4 medium carrots (peeled and shredded)
- 1/2 pound green beans (trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 bunch radishes (thinly sliced)
- 1 recipe Crispy Black Eyed Peas
- Harissa Spice Blend: In a small bowl mix together the ground cumin, ground coriander, dried chili, smoked paprika, salt, caraway seed and garlic powder until combined. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- For the Crispy Black Eyed Peas: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place the black eyed peas in a large sauce pot and add enough cold water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the peas are just tender but still intact, about 30 minutes. Drain well and spread on a baking sheet to cool.
- In a large ovenproof saucepan, combine the oil, garlic, thyme, smoked chilies and chile flakes. Heat over medium heat until bubbles begin to form on the surface. Carefully stir in the peas, then transfer to the oven. Baked until the garlic is soft, about 45 minutes. Remove the beans from the oil and spread on a baking sheet. Increase the temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until the peas are golden brown. Remove from oven and pat dry with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Allow peas to cool and crisp. Toss the peas in harissa spice blend.
- For the White BBQ Sauce Dressing: In a medium bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, milk, apple cider vinegar, horseradish, black pepper, cayenne and salt until combined. Chill until ready to use.
- For the Chopped Salad: In a large bowl combine the romaine, kale, cucumber, carrots, green beans, radishes and black eyed peas. Dress the salad with the white bbq sauce dressing. Transfer to a platter and serve.
- Tip: If you're short on time use canned black eyed peas.
Split Pea Soup
Salmon with Brown Butter and Lemon
Cashew Chicken and Bok Choy
Mediterranean Potato Pancake
Speedy Huevos Rancheros
Braised Chicken Thighs with Caramelized Onions and Egg Noodles
Easy Tiramisu Cake
Grilled Skirt Steak with Charred Tomatillo Salsa
Gluten Free Coconut Pancake
Chickpea and Lentil Curry Over Toasted Pita
Marinated Pork T-Bones
Tuna Noodle Casserole with Potato Chip Topping