Ground pork, beef, and tomato sauce make for a family friendly Italian classic
- step-by-step directions
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 1 Carrot (chopped)
- 6 slices Smoked Bacon (chopped)
- 8 ounces Ground Pork
- 8 ounces Ground Beef
- 6 Garlic Cloves (smashed)
- 1/4 cup Sweet Vermouth
- 1 cup White Wine
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 28 ounce can Whole Peeled Tomatoes (crushed by hand)
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 pounds Spaghetti
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese (to serve)
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, add Olive Oil over medium-high heat. Combine the Onion, Carrot and Bacon and sauté until softened.
- Add the Pork and Beef, season with Salt and Pepper and brown, about 8 minutes.
- Toss in the smashed Garlic Cloves and cook just until fragrant.
- Deglaze with Vermouth, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour in the White Wine and Chicken Stock. Add the Tomatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover loosely and cook for 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Mixture should be very thick.
*At this point you can remove from heat and store in fridge for a few days or freeze.
- When ready to serve heat sauce and stir in 1 cup of Milk. Simmer for about 30 minutes until thickened.
- Bring a large pot of salted Water to a boil. Cook Spaghetti to al dente according to package instructions. Toss cooked noodles into sauce and loosen with pasta water as needed.
- Garnish liberally with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.
Similar categories: Ingredients Beef Pasta Courses & Meals Dinner Pizza & Pasta Beef Cuisine Italian
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal