Spaghetti Squash Pie
Our fans hit it out of the park!
- step-by-step directions
Spaghetti Squash Pie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 large onion (peeled, diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning (dried)
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 medium zucchini (sliced into rounds 1/4-inch thick)
- cooking spray (for greasing)
- 10 large leaves fresh basil (plus additional to garnish)
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cup Italian cheese (shredded)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- For the Spaghetti Squash: Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Cut squash lengthwise, scoop out seeds and stringy bits. Drizzle flesh with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and rub all over exposed squash, season with salt. Place in a baking dish cut side up with a little bit of water in the bottom of the dish to prevent the skin from burning. Roast for about 30 minutes--until the squash is tender but still a little al dente. Remove squash from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Shred the inside of the squash with a fork to create spaghetti-like strands. Place squash in a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth and squeeze out excess liquid. Add the garlic powder, season with salt and mix to combine. Set aside. In a medium bowl, add eggs, parmesan cheese and squash and mix to combine.
- For the Filling: Meanwhile, in a medium saute pan add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the onion, season with salt and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, and red chili flakes and cook another 2-3 minutes. Remove the mixture from the pan to a bowl and set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the zucchini rounds and season with salt and pepper. Cook the zucchini until golden brown and tender, flipping as necessary. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- To Assemble: Reduce the oven to 375ºF.
- Spray a 9-inch round glass pie dish with cooking spray. Press spaghetti squash mixture into the dish forming a crust and press up the sides of the dish. Spread onion mixture over the top of squash. Top with zucchini rounds, basil, marinara sauce and cheese.
- Place pie dish on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, tent with foil for the last 10 minutes of cooking if necessary (if crust is getting too brown). Let cool for 15-20 minutes, then top with fresh basil to garnish and serve.
- Tip: Assemble the pie in advance then bake right before serving. Use your favorite vegetables in the filling for this dish!
Polenta with Sausage Ragu and Fresh Mozzarella
Roasted Pork Shoulder in Banana Leaf
Holiday Gingerbread Cookie
Zabaglione with Berries and Chocolate
Rich Chocolate Bundt Cake with Toasted Almonds
PB&J Cereal French Toast
Everything Bagel Cracker and Spinach Dip
Noodles with Cabbage and Onions
Make-Ahead Beef Bourguignon