All cultures have comfort food and this is a must try one from Greece!
Spanakopita: Lemon-Scented Spinach and Feta Pie
- Olive Oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 bunch Scallions (trimmed & thinly sliced)
- 1 large Shallot (finely chopped)
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- Kosher Salt
- 2 pounds Baby Spinach
- 1/2 cup Fresh Flat-leaf Parsley Leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 large Egg (beaten)
- 1 cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese (drained)
- 1 tablespoon Freshly Grated Lemon Zest
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 10 - 18 x 13 inch Sheets of Filo Dough (thawed if frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 13 by 9 by 1-inch baking pan with Olive Oil Spray.
- Heat the Oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add Scallions, Shallot, Garlic, and a pinch of Salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the Spinach, Parsley, and pinch of Salt. Cook, stirring, until the Spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Drain in a fine-mesh colander, squeezing the Spinach as dry as possible. Finely chop the Spinach.
- In a large bowl, stir together the Egg, Feta, Ricotta, Lemon Zest, and Nutmeg until smooth. Stir in the Spinach mixture until well blended.
- Lay 1 Filo sheet in the prepared pan, aligning one short edge with the length of the pan. Spray the sheet then fold it in half so that it covers the bottom of the pan. Repeat laying, spraying, and folding 4 times so that you've used 5 Filo sheets total, forming 10 layers. Spread the Spinach evenly over the Filo stack. Then repeat the laying, spraying, and folding with the remaining 5 Filo sheets.
- Fold any overhanging edges of Filo over the filling. Use an offset spatula to tightly tuck the folded edges against the filling by placing the spatula's edge where the ends of the sheets meet the edge of the pan and gently pressing the sheets toward the bottom of the pan. Repeat all around the perimeter of the pan to encase the filling. Coat the top with the Oil spray.
- Bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Cool slightly in the pan on a rack, then cut into pieces and serve hot.