Spatchcock Turkey with Stuffing
A tasty Thanksgiving turkey alternative!
- step-by-step directions
For the Stuffing:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 celery stalks (small dice)
- 2 small onions (peeled, small dice)
- 4 carrots (peeled, small dice)
- 6 thyme sprigs (leaves only)
- 1 loaf day old Italian bread (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Turkey:
- 1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 shallot
- 2 tablespoons sage (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 1 lemon (zested, juiced)
- 1 turkey (8-10 pounds, spatchcocked)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- For the Stuffing: Add the butter to the bottom of a large roasting pan set across 2 burner, over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, carrot, and thyme. Cook until the vegetables have softened, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and add the bread. Stir to combine and set aside.
- For the Turkey: In a medium bowl, combine the butter, shallot, sage, parsley, lemon zest and juice. Mix to combine and season with salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to use.
- Pat the turkey dry and loosen the skin over the breasts and legs. Rub the butter mixture under the birds skin so it is evenly distributed. Season the turkey generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the turkey skin-side up on top of the stuffing in the roasting pan. Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 400ºF and cook until the internal temperature of the bird reaches 165ºF, about 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of your bird. Tent with foil if beginning to brown too quickly. Remove from oven, transfer the turkey to a cutting board and let the turkey rest for 30 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile finish the stuffing. Turn the oven to broil, stir. Stir the stuffing to ensure it is evenly coated with the roasting juices. Return the roasting pan with the stuffing to the oven and broil until the bread is golden, about 5 minutes. Remove to a serving bowl and toss with parsley and dried cranberries. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Carve the turkey and serve with stuffing on the side.
BBQ Pork Dumplings
Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs with Shaved Carrot Salad
Kandi's Creamed Corn
Classic German Chocolate Cake
Almond Braised Chicken Thighs with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts
Halibut en Papillotte
Cookies and Cream Sweetheart
Linguine with White Clam Sauce
Mardi Gras Baked Alaska