Spicy Barbecue Chicken Burger with Bacon, Gouda, and Grilled Mango
A BBQ Chicken Burger never tasted so good.
- step-by-step directions
For the Chicken Patties:
- 1 pound extra lean ground chicken breast
- 1 jalapeño (seeded and diced)
- 1/2 sweet onion (peeled, grated)
- 2 tablespoons steak seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 8 slices gouda cheese
Lime Vinaigrette Cabbage:
- 1/2 head purple cabbage (cored, thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 limes (zested and juiced)
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Rum-Infused BBQ Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 mangos (peeled, pith removed, cut in half)
- slices smoky bacon (cooked)
- 4 sesame seed buns (toasted)
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl add the extra-lean ground chicken breast, jalapeño, sweet onion, steak seasoning, hot sauce, and cornmeal and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties. Place on the grill and cook until charred on both sides and cooked through, or a meat thermometer registers 165ºF. Add 2 gouda cheese slices on top of each patty during the last minute of cooking. Remove from the grill.
- Drizzle the mango halves in olive oil and season with salt. Place on the grill until nicely charred on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- For the Lime Vinaigrette Cabbage: In a large bowl add the purple cabbage, olive oil, limes, honey, and cayenne and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the Rum-Infused BBQ Sauce: In a small saucepan add the ketchup, brown sugar, red wine, water, Worcestershire, mustard, onion powder, and rum and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and allow to simmer until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- To Assemble: Place the chicken patty on the bottom bun, top with gouda, 2 slices bacon, slaw, mango and bbq sauce. Place the top bun on top of the mango and serve.
- Tip: Make the cabbage and bbq sauce in advance. Store the bbq sauce in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Pap's Turkey and Dumpling Soup
Ombre Potato and Root Vegetable Gratin
Quick and Easy Pumpkin Pie
Simple Pumpkin Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
Turkey Pot Pie
Crispy and Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Classic Pumpkin Pie
Deconstructed Vegan Pecan Pie
Fall Roasted Vegetable Medley
Maple Bourbon-Glazed Roasted Turkey
Crispy Potatoes with Pumpkin Hummus