Clinton Kelly's Spicy Chicken and Sausage Stew
- For the Stew:
- Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 pound boneless skinless Chicken Thighs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 pound Spicy Italian Sausage (removed from casing)
- 1 Yellow Onion (small diced)
- 3 Carrots (small diced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper
- 3 Garlic cloves (chopped)
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 28- ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 14- ounce cans Navy Beans (drained and rinsed)
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup Panko
- 1/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup Parsley (leaves picked and chopped)
- Olive Oil
- For the Stew: Preheat the oven broiler on high. Place a heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat and add 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the chicken thighs evenly with salt and pepper. Add the thighs to the pan in an even layer. Do not overcrowd the pan. Brown the thighs on each side, about 3 to 4 minutes, then remove from the pan. Cut into bite size pieces.
- Add the sausage and brown evenly, breaking up with a wooden spoon, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add more oil if the pan seems dry. Add the onion and carrot and season with the red chili pepper, salt and pepper. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onion just begins to softened. Add the garlic, thyme and rosemary. Cook for one minute longer.
- Add the chicken stock and scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Once it has reduced by half, add the crushed tomatoes and navy beans.
- Return the chicken to the pan and bring up to a simmer. Cook for 40 minutes, or until the thighs are tender and pull apart easily. Remove the rosemary and thyme sprigs. Adjust seasoning.
- For the Topping: In a medium-sized bowl, combine all the toppings with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and mix. Sprinkle generously over the stew and then place the pot in the oven. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the top is golden. Remove and serve.