Hot Chile Soup
Spicy Immune-Boosting Soup
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander seeds (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon Yellow Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tablespoon Turmeric
- 1 2- inch piece fresh Ginger (peeled and cut into thin strips)
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 small Hot Chile (such as Thai bird chile) seeded and finely chop
- 1 (14-ounce) can of diced San Marzano Tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups Low-Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Kosher Salt
- 1 Sweet Potato (about 8 ounces; peeled and quartered into 1/4-inch-thick pieces)
- Lime Wedges for serving
- Cilantro sprigs for serving
- Harissa Chile Sauce
- Nonfat Greek yogurt
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cumin, coriander, and mustard seeds to bring out flavor. Shake the pan often, until seeds are fragrant and begin to pop, about 30 seconds. Add turmeric, ginger, garlic and chile; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add sweet potatoes and let liquid return to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer until sweet potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately. Garnish with lime wedges, cilantro, nonfat Greek yogurt, and harissa chile sauce, as desired.