Ginger and chili are perfect additions to this Asian inspired noodle dish
Spicy Mushroom & Noodle Soup
- 1 medium Onion (finely diced)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Ginger (grated)
- 1 Red Chili (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1/2 cup Dried Shitake Mushrooms
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1 package Rice Vermicelli Noodles (cooked to package instructions)
- Heat a medium sauce pot with a few tablespoons of Oil. Add the Onion and sweat over medium heat until soft. Add the Garlic, Ginger and Chili and cook for 2-3 more minutes until fragrant and Chili is slightly soft.
- Add the Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce, Dried Mushrooms and 2 quarts of Water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until Mushrooms are rehydrated and flavors have infused the Water. Strain out Mushrooms, thinly slice, and then return to the Broth. Adjust seasoning to taste. Add the Spinach and remove from heat.
- Divide the Rice Noodle between heat proof soup bowls. Pour some simmering broth into eat bowl to cover noodles.
Serve soup warm.
- Helpful Tips:
1. Shiitake mushrooms: One serving provides as much Vitamin D as a glass of Milk. Makes up for a lack of exposure to sunlight; can help with seasonal affective disorder.
2. Ginger aids in nutrient absorption in the body, and is good for upset stomachs; anti-inflammatory effects help alleviate winter joint pain.
3. Using a Hot Chili warms you from the inside out!
4. Use Dried Mushrooms for a more umami flavor.
5. If you don’t like mushrooms, pull the whole mushrooms out after the broth is made.
6. Spinach is loaded with iron and Vitamin K, for bone health.