Spicy Turkey Lime Soup
It's like a fiesta in a bowl!
- step-by-step directions
Spicy Chicken Stock:
- bones of two chickens (leftover from a roasted chicken)
- 1 onion (peeled, roughly chopped)
- 5-6 cracked whole cloves
- 1 jalapenos (slit down the center)
- 1 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion (peeled, small dice)
- 2 ribs celery (small dice)
- 2 carrots (peeled, small dice)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled, minced)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons ground coriander
- 8 cups spicy chicken stock
- 2 ripe tomatoes (seeded, small dice)
- 3 1/2 cups turkey breast (pre-cooked, skin discarded, shredded)
- 2 limes (juiced)
- cilantro (to garnish)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 4 corn tortillas (cut into thin strips)
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 lime (zested)
- canola oil (for frying)
- Kosher salt
- In the bowl of a slow cooker add the chicken bones and fill the slow cooker to the top with water and place on low heat for 12 hours. Add the onion, cloves, jalapeno, peppercorns and place on high heat for 2 hours. Strain stock and set aside.
- For the Soup: In a large pot, add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic and cook until almost translucent about 4 minutes. Add the cumin and coriander and cook an additional minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the turkey meat and stir to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and garnish with cilantro and tortillas.
- For the Tortillas: Fill a Dutch oven or high sided saute pan with 2 inches of canola oil and heat to 360ºF. Add the corn tortilla strips and fry until golden and crispy. Remove to a paper towel and sprinkle with chili powder, lime zest and salt.
- Tip: Make the stock in advance and freeze for up to 2 months. Perfect spicy broth for ramen soups!
Cherry Upside-Down Cake
Hazelnut-Crusted Swordfish Picatta with Charred Romano Beans
Spicy Peanut Grilled Chicken
Jerk Chicken Egg Rolls
Chilled Corn Soup with Ancho Chili Puree
Peach Pie Pinwheels
Crispy Ginger Thai Wings
Chimichurri Grilled Wings
Cherry Pecan Monkey Bread
Grilled Cornbread with Blueberry Compote
Grilled Lobster Tails with Lime Basil Butter
Grilled Flank Steak with Blue Cheese Red Onions